For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Wedding Perspective

On her wedding day in 1981,  I had just graduated from college. I was just two years older than Diana.

I didn't know it at the time, but in just one month or so I would meet my future husband.



We didn't have a DVR at the time, so my sister Lori and I awoke at 4:00AM to watch our first royal wedding. 

We were soooo excited.
Everything was magical.
Diana was so beautiful and we thought her gown was magnificent - so fitting of a princess.



We could just imagine ourselves in Diana's shoes.
We could almost feel how she was feeling.
We were emotional. 
It was like a fairy tale.


To be honest,  I think I remember the details of Diana's wedding day more than my own!




So today I woke up (not at 4:00AM this time thanks to my DVR!) and turned on the royal wedding again.

It was nice to be able to fast-forward through the long boring parts right to the good part - THE DRESS.



So different than Diana's.
But very beautiful.



As I watched the ceremony, however,  it was through very different eyes.



I was no longer seeing myself in the bride's shoes.




My perspective has changed.




Instead, I was seeing them as my kids.

In a few years, I will probably be watching my own children begin their own fairy tales.

I was picturing Adam as the groom.
I was envisioning Annie and Kerry as brides.

THAT will be emotional!









1 comment:

  1. It will be a fantastic, amazing day watching your daughter or son get married to the love of their lives!

    ReplyDelete