For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Monday, April 22, 2013

Twenty-Two

Today is April 22.  Earth Day.
But the theme of this blog is what  happened 22 years ago on April 22.
My son, Adam, was born.

Since I've been blogging, I typically write a "birthday blog" for each of my kids every year. I've shown many pictures of Adam as a baby, as a toddler, and in the many years since. So I did not want to repeat this year what I have already done.

Searching for inspiration, I got into his Facebook page and started browsing his photos.  Not the photos from the past when Adam was living at home - many of which I took myself.  I looked through the ones of Adam since he's been in college.

I already knew what a kind, caring person Adam is.  I knew how much he loves animals. I knew how much he cares for the needy.  And I knew how much he loves the Lord.  But I was struck by the beautiful person I saw in these Facebook photos.

And since a picture truly is worth 1000 words, I will show you pictures of Adam that his mother didn't take. These pictures that were taken by the people he keeps company with.

(I will do my best to tell you a little about the photos, but since I wasn't there, I may be wrong.)


                          Collecting vegetables for the local food pantry.




                                                             Embracing Vermont!


Using his camera to capture beautiful things...



Calling forth his inner Sponge Bob.


Habitat for Humanity in New Orleans




Demonstrating his love of animals...





of all shapes and sizes!





Cooking for and feeding the needy in the Middlebury community.


More work in New Orleans...

(Adam with a nail gun is a scary sight!)




Having fun with his Christian fellowship group on campus...





Carving pretty shapes out of cheese?


And my favorite picture of Adam taken last fall...


He reminds me so much of my father - the kindness in his eyes, his big warm smile.
How he makes the world a better place.
And how much I love him!

Happy Birthday, Adam!

No comments:

Post a Comment