For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Friday, April 8, 2011

Training Wheels

It was well over 10 years ago that Annie went from riding her tricycle to her "big girl" bike. 




She was so proud to be like Adam and Kerry!

But before she could ride the two-wheeler on her own,  she definitely needed training wheels for a while to keep her from falling. When she felt she was ready, we took them off and she got her balance pretty easily.  Then she was off on her own without any help!  I was so proud that day, but also worried that she would take a tumble and get hurt.

Yesterday,  Annie's training wheels were back on again.

Only this time with a much bigger vehicle.
Annie passed the test to get her driver's permit!




She was all smiles as we walked out of the DMV.

As I did with Adam and Kerry before her,  I let her drive home on the back roads from Enfield after we had gotten away from the busier roads.


I was a little concerned when she asked me which pedal was the gas and which was the brake!

She pulled out of the parking lot with a combined laugh and scream. (She'll kill me when she finds out I used this picture!  Oh, but she HAS TO BE NICE TO ME IF SHE WANTS ME TO LET HER DRIVE!)


By the time she got back to the high school, she felt a little more at ease.



She will be able to take the test to get her license in 4 months.  She will take driver's ed and hopefully learn all she needs to know.

But for the next 4 months or so,  the training wheels are back on.

But this time,  her dad and I ARE the training wheels.
Our job is to keep her (and us) from getting hurt while she learns to drive.

When the time comes, we will set her off on her own.
Only this time we will be worried about more than a skinned knee!


4 comments:

  1. congrats Annie!! wow they have much nicer learner's permits than when i got mine! we just got a piece of paper, no picture or anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting/nerve wracking for both of you! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How thrilling! Soon, NO MORE driving or picking up kids! Wow. The learners permit is REALLY cute. Sooooo much nicer than they used to be.
    Congrats, ANNIE!!!

    ReplyDelete