For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Thursday, April 14, 2011

Happy Anniversary to Us!

On April 14, 1984, Gayle and Vance were married.

Instead of being the beautiful spring day we envisioned, it was a horribly rainy, windy, chilly day.  NOT a good day for any outdoor pictures.  NOT a good day for hair.  NOT a good day for satin shoes.  But it was a GREAT day for a wedding!


 It was back in the days before digital photography, so I have  to cut him some slack, but looking at the pictures with a more critical eye, they were not good.  This is the only picture I have walking down the aisle with my father - and my eyes were mostly closed!  Nonetheless, I treasure the memory!


 It was a late afternoon wedding on a dark, gloomy day.  But the church was warmed by candlelight.


 Presenting MR. & MRS.


 My hair was always permed back then.  Unfortunately, the perm I got right before the wedding caused a large amount of my hair to break off at the roots!  Yikes! 


 My sister Lori was the Maid-of-Honor and Vance's friend Bob was the Best Man.


  Looking at the pictures,  it was nice to see the faces of so many family members who have since passed.


 Vance posed with just his mother.  His father passed away a few years before.


This is one of my favorite pictures.  We are happy and relaxed, and NOT posing!

I just wish that BIG WHITE HAND was out of the picture! 

5 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! You can crop out that hand! :-) Love the posts thanks for sharing!
    love Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you two!! Such cute pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute pictures...reminded me of our wedding pics...remind me to show them to you sometime :)
    You guys look like your kids!!! (or vice versa..lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy anniversary!! vance looks a lot like kerry in these pictures!

    ReplyDelete