For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Tuesday, May 3, 2011

So Vein!

I didn't spell it wrong. 

Veins are those little blood vessels. 
Everyone has them.  Lots of them.

I know I have lots of veins.
How do I know?
I CAN SEE THEM!


I don't like to think of myself as a vain person.

But nonetheless, they bother me sometimes.

I remember back when Adam was in kindergarten and I would go into the classroom to be the helping mom once a week.  I was sitting next to this little girl and she pointed at my hands and said "Your hands look old". 

She didn't mean anything by it. 
She was just making an innocent observation.

Yet there was a vein of truth to what she said.








I can make my hands look younger by holding them upright.

           Hand down.
        Hand held upright.

But I don't really want to walk around all
     day with my hands raised, do I?

In a similar vein,  take a look at my feet.




 Fortunately,  for 3/4 of the year my feet are covered. 

And it REALLY would look silly to keep my feet
     up in the air all day.
I am not THAT vain!

Whenever I think too seriously about my veins, 
there is one thing that makes me feel better.

I know it could be worse.
Much worse.


At least my arms still look young!

4 comments:

  1. I think your hands look fine, Gayle :)
    And since the REST of you looks ultra young...I wouldn't worry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm jealous of your easily accessible veins every time i go to the doctor...and they poke me 4 to 5 times just to try to find a vein if i need blood drawn. Quite the painful experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have old looking hands and I'm only 18! But my don't look old from veins. They look old because the lines on my hands are very prominent...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see how veiny women are and personally i like veiny women, but i keep that to my self and see no shame in how veiny women are. Don't feel bad.

    ReplyDelete