For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Monday, June 4, 2012

Moving Back In

I officially moved back into my own bedroom last night.

After sleeping in the guest room for the better part of a year, I knew it was time.

It was lonely there.  I missed my husband.

What prompted this decision?

We just spent a week in Rome together and his snoring had gotten better.  I was able to sleep the whole night with very few disturbances and wake up refreshed.

So I cleaned our room yesterday and moved back in.

As I am sitting here writing this post, I am tired. 
My eyes are dry and scratchy.  I don't feel rested.

The snoring woke me up about 5 times last night, including the last time at 5:30 AM when the windows were aglow with the rising sun.  As I struggled to add a few more minutes of rest to my night,  my husband's alarm went off and the noise of him getting ready for work along with the sound of dogs' nails on the wood floor erased any chance of continuing my slumber.  I am a very light sleeper.

Why did I sleep well on vacation but not here?
As I mull it over in my foggy brain, I think it's because I was exhausted from a long day of sightseeing.  Also, I was the first to wake up in the morning.  And the room was extremely quiet (no dogs).

So today I am disappointed.  Knowing how good I feel with a solid, uninterrupted night of sleep, can I go back once again to the nights of disturbed sleep?  Do I want to?  A bad night of sleep changes my outlook on the entire day.  It changes how I interact with my kids, my husband, my pets. 

So what do I do now?
Should I keep on trying, hoping I will get used to the disturbances?
Sleep in the spare room during the week and in our  room on weekends?

I don't even want to think about sleeping with earplugs again.  I love listening to the wind in the trees as I drift off to sleep and the birds chirping when I wake up in the morning. 

I wish I had a good answer.



No comments:

Post a Comment