For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Worth the Wait

I got a birthday present in the mail yesterday.
From my sister.

My birthday was over a month ago, but over the years I've come to expect Lori's gifts to be a little late.  Between her main job as an accountant and her new endeavor with her good friend Terri catering and giving cooking classes (Cooking Sense), not to mention her 3 daughters, 4 dogs, 2 cats, 2 horses, and a few visiting squirrels - I'm surprised my gift arrived when it did!

She is pretty amazing.

To add to her long list of responsibilities, she also takes time for some creativity.
This winter she has been learning to quilt.  Her friend, Terri, who is also amazing at so many things,  invited her along on a quilting weekend and she has finished her first quilt.

And I am the lucky recipient!

I knew something was brewing when she made me send her pictures of my family room but wouldn't tell me why. Then it was confirmed when she was trying to pick out a backing for the quilt and had to ask me what I would want.  Print or solid.  I chose solid.


Here is a picture of Lori (left) and Terri (right) as they were in the process of making it. 

And here it is in its forever home!

I don't know how she managed to choose the perfect colors from a few phone pics, but it is gorgeous and eye-catching, bold and modern - absolutely perfect!  I love it!

She chose a pretty purple backing that looks great with my green sofa.

She was quick to point out the mistakes she made - using the wrong color thread on the backing and the the quilting lines were not always straight - but I hope she realizes all those things don't matter to me.  In fact I didn't even notice them.

Whenever I receive a gift of this magnitude, I always wonder if my reaction truly let the giver know how much I love it and how much it means to me. 

But then again, Lori knows me better than anyone in the world.
So she must know.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy the colors work! It looks great there. Lori did such a wonderful job making this quilt! So happy to see it in its new home! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! It goes perfectly with your home, I agree! And yes, you do have an amazing sister!!

    ReplyDelete