For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Friday, June 22, 2012

My Field of Dreams

It's really happening!

The planning - the idea began 2 years ago.
The speculation - will they come?
The timing - ready for the end of Annie's junior year in high school.
The nitty-gritty - learning Excel, spreadsheets, keeping track of income and expenses, sales tax, bank account, credit/debit card reader, pricing...
The advertising - networking using a Facebook page, photography blog,  ad in local newspaper

I had done just about everything I could think of.

School ended last week and I timed my one and only ad to go into the paper at the same time.


Then I waited.

And the bookings came in. 

In just one week, I have booked fifteen upcoming Seniors for their Senior portraits!

I am surprised but not surprised, excited but scared.

But most of all I am very pleased.



Of course it didn't hurt that my first Senior this year was such a beautiful girl!

Well, not the first Senior.  Annie was the first and always will be.
She's been my biggest cheerleader and helper.




My dream has been to be a photographer.
I never really thought it would ever happen.
I just knew I loved to take pictures.

I know it's just the beginning, but I really do feel like a photographer now.
And it feels really nice!
Really nice!
 
 “If you build it, he will come” is the famous line in the classic 1989 flick, “Field of Dreams.”

I'm still building, but I can feel my dream really happening.
I wouldn't have changed anything about my life up to now.
I just think there's a time for everything.
And that time is now.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Gayle!! I knew you could do it!
    I will be happy to pass the word :)

    ReplyDelete