For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Sunday, February 19, 2012

The LAST Game

It was a very intense rivalry.

A series of matches spanning almost 2 decades.

It's over now.

BUT I'LL NEVER FORGET THAT LAST GAME...

You see, ever since our kids were little,
nearly every time we visited my mom and dad
we would play rummy after the kids went to bed.



There were two teams.
Me and my mom against Vance and my dad.
Girls vs. Guys.


We would pop some popcorn...


and bring the bowl of M&Ms to the table...


and start a series of games that involved much
name calling, taunting, and fun!

When things weren't going their way,
my dad would do his "special shuffle"
to try to turn their luck around.

When my mom had a really good hand,
she would look at me across the table
and cross her eyes!

When we visited my parents for Christmas in 2006,
we played what turned out to be our FINAL match.

My mom had COPD and needed oxygen 24/7.
Her memory had deteriorated.

As we began the game, we needed to remind her
how to play.  She was unsure of the rules.

My hopes of winning that night were pretty dim.

But surprisingly,  we were getting good cards
and we were ahead of the guys.

Playing to 1000 points,
my mom and I needed just a few more points
to win the game and the match!

I reminded her to not to hold onto her high cards.
You see, in Rummy, you have to subtract the points from
whatever cards you have left in your hand at the end of the game.

The game ended.
We scored enough to win the match!
Then my mom showed us the cards in her hand.
She had gotten rid of her high cards as planned
but still had a JOKER in her hand!

A joker is wild and could easily be played.
But if it was in your hand at the end of the game,
you had to subtract 50 POINTS!

Dad and Vance ended up winning the match.
They were cocky and irritating - the way they
always were when they beat us!
Just as it should be.

I soooo wish it had ended differently!
For me, yes, because I hate to lose.
But mostly for Mom.
When I went to bed that night, 
I knew in my heart we had played
THE LAST GAME.

I was right.









 








2 comments:

  1. Funny how we know these things, isn't it? That's why I threw a huge 50th Anniversary party for my parents on their 45th Anniversary. I knew my dad wouldn't last...we lost him five months later. Life is fleeting, but there is nothing quite like playing the 'game' well. My love to you. Beautiful story...♥♥♥ Marci

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great story, Gayle. *Sniff

    ReplyDelete