For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Thursday, March 17, 2011

Rechargeable!

Before creation, when God was considering how things should be, he decided to make us rechargeable.

Everyone needs sleep.  Sleep is a valued commodity.

Without enough sleep, it is hard to function.

But I don't believe He thought it through.

I used to be a good sleeper.  Then came...

                                             Adam.

Then came...

                                               Kerry.

Then came...

                                                    Annie.


I was a good mother.  I would wake up whenever they even whimpered.

I became a light sleeper.

Then the kids got bigger.  They slept much better.



But there were still plenty of nights when I would wake up to find them standing beside my bed.  It was like I had mental telepathy.  I just knew someone was staring at me.

Bad dreams, tummy aches, wet beds.

Fast forward ------------------ teenagers.
Teens driving.  Teens  staying out late.
Trying to stay awake until they are home safely.

Then they go away to college.

But I am still a light sleeper.

AND now my husband snores.

I have to give him credit.
Over the past 10 years, he has tried NOT to snore.

   - He has worn devices on and in his nose.

   - He has had his uvula removed by laser.
     It worked for about 5 years.

   - He has the Pillar procedure where polyester strips
     are implanted in the soft palette to help stiffen the
     tissue to stop it from vibrating during sleep.
     It helped lessen the noise - for a while.

  - He has gone for multiple sleep studies where
    I was actually hoping he would have sleep apnea
    so he could get a CPAP machine,
    which I have been told stops the snoring.
    He didn't have sleep apnea.

  - I wore ear plugs for a while.  Even wearing ear plugs rated
    to the highest decibel level,  I could still hear the sound,
    only muffled slightly.

  - I even began knocking myself out with benadryl so I could sleep.


I have finally found what works the best.
I sleep in the spare bedroom at the opposite end of the house!

When I first began sleeping there,  I almost couldn't believe how peaceful it was!

My children didn't understand why.  They are not light sleepers - yet.
Until one night last fall when they were with us in the same hotel room.
Adam was so desperate he took the pillow and comforter off the bed and slept in the bathtub with the door closed!

From what I understand,  it is very common for men to snore as they get older.
MANY women have the same complaint as I do.

So, God,  why didn't you think it through a little more?
At least you could have given women a battery that holds a charge longer!






 

1 comment: