For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Sunday, April 22, 2012

My Baby is Twenty-One

April 22, 1991.  This was a huge milestone in my life.
                           It was the day I became a mom.
                           I had ALWAYS wanted to be a mother.
                           I had waited a long time for this day.
                           I was determined not to screw up.

April 22, 2012   My baby boy turns 21 years old today.
                           It seems like yesterday that he was born.
                           I've been a mom for 21 years.
                           I have tried to be a good mom.
                           I've screwed up MANY times.
                           I learned from my mistakes.

After 21 years, I feel like I am finally qualified to be a mother.
How easy it would be now!

I would be more relaxed.

I wouldn't second guess myself so often.

I wouldn't lay awake at night going over the events of each day,
wondering if I had done the right thing, if I had handled each situation
as a good mother should.

I have Adam to thank for this.  He was my teacher.
As I said, I learned from my mistakes.
And most of my mistakes were on him.
The firstborn.

My intentions were always good.
But it's like learning to ride a bike without training wheels.
In the beginning, you envision yourself getting on the seat
   and riding perfectly down the street.
In reality, it's scary.
Others may try to tell you what to do, but you must find your own way.
In reality, you take a few spills and maybe even shed some tears.
It takes a while to find your balance.
When you finally do, your bike may have some dents and scratches,
but you love your bike more than anything.

On this 21st anniversary of becoming a mom,
I love my little boy more than anything.
He has grown into a good man, in spite of me.
And hopefully, because of me too.

Happy Birthday, Adam!














                           
                           
                          

3 comments:

  1. Once again you make me cry! Wonderful post! Happy Birthday Adam and Happy 21st anniversary on being a Mom Gayle. You certainly are a GREAT one (and yes it certainly does help having such wonderful kids!)
    love hugs and prayers
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful!! You did a fantastic job with raising Adam! and the girls! I love Adam. such a wonderful young man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO sweet!! Happy birthday to that amazing kid of yours.

    ReplyDelete