For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Friday, April 6, 2012

Bathroom Renovation


As  a reminder of what our bathroom looked like a few weeks ago...

A very outdated bathroom from the 1980's.
Grungy fiberglass tub enclosure that had lost its luster years ago.
It was cramped and dirty and old!

Two weeks ago,   J. D. Shea Home Improvements began
       working on the project.

John Shea has been very meticulous with every detail
       and a great guy to work with.

First, the destruction...


It looks better already!

The tub was put in first.  It is a soaking tub from Kohler.


The floor ripped out in preparation for new tile.


The area around the tub was tiled with large tiles from Porcelanosa.  Eve at Tile America was wonderful to work with when deciding which tile to use for the walls and the floor!
I painted the walls a denim blue color, picking up a little of the grey/blue from the floor tiles.

The floor was also a large tile from Porcelanosa.  Very pretty!

 We are 95% done with the first bathroom now.  The tub is waiting on a frameless glass enclosure.
The tile looks amazing! 


 The fixtures for the tub are from Grohe.  Very modern and plain.


The tile looks like a woven grass cloth.   We accented it with a simple dark brown strip.

  There is a niche in the shower wall for toiletries.

 And the shower head can be hand-held for cleaning the tub.


Nutmeg Stairs and Cabinets in Ellington made the vanity.  The hardware has not arrived yet for the drawers.

The floor is beautiful!

I really like the way the tile comes up around the bottom of the wall so I dont' need to have the painted white molding!


I also love the one-piece skirted toilet by Toto!  I hated to clean around the base of the old toilet where the dust, dirt, and hair collected.

I splurged a bit on the VIPP garbage can - so pretty and sleek!


 The light fixture is very modern and square - like the bathroom tub fixtures.

I even found a square door knob in polished chrome to match the fixtures.


I added a train rack of the wall over the toilet for towels from Restoration Hardware.


 And matching modern hooks from Restoration Hardware for towels.

And a modern toilet paper holder, also from Restoration Hardware.


 The medicine cabinet door has not been installed yet.  We are waiting until after the plumber hooks up the sink so it doesn't get injured in the process.

I am so happy with all of my choices and with the quality of the work that has been done.
When I shower, I feel like I'm in a hotel instead of my own house!  I also tried out the tub and soaked for quite a while the other night - my whole body was nice and warm under the water the whole time!

When the glass doors are installed, I'll give you the final picture.

But for now,  that's it!

8 comments:

  1. It's GORGEOUS! I love all your design choices!
    It looks very very ZEN :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! what a transformation! i can't decide what my favorite part is...the floating vanity, the amazing fixtures, the so cool woven tile...seriously amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I need to update my username

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a splendid transformation! From an outdated ‘80s bath, you were able to transform your bathroom into an upscale-looking space! I like the color and patterns that you used, especially the tile that looks like a woven grass cloth. It gives the bathroom the Zen vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you can really see the difference between the old and the new bathroom. Your new bathroom looks amazing with its contemporary design. The contractor really did a great job with it. He made your small bathroom look spacious! That’s what you call renovation at its finest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Interesting what situation with drain & plumbing here?

    And what situation with water & plumbing services in hotels? Hot water? Smell?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I neeeed to know how to get the tile surrounding your tub, or my head will explode...

    ReplyDelete