For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Friday, May 21, 2010

Renovation - May 19 - 21








Two weeks have passed since this whole thing began. The electrician will be finishing up tomorrow morning. The carpenters fixed up the siding around the new windows and put the insulation back into the walls. The guy who does the sheetrock will be coming on Monday.

Meanwhile, I went to the lighting store today. I am posting pictures of the fixtures that I am thinking of. I haven't bought anything yet, but I will make up my mind soon. The pictures of the hanging light over the table is made in VT (yeah) by Hubbardton Forge. It is wrought iron, but with a contemporary flair. There are 5 lights that can be adjusted to be angled out sideways or straight in a row. I would probably get the amber swirl art glass for the shades. Since my table is dark, I think this would balance nicely with it. Also, did you know my father used to have his own wrought iron business when he was younger.

The pendants will be hanging over the bar area in the kitchen. I am torn between the green and gold pendant and the iris flute-shaped pendant which has many colors in it (red, purple, gold, blue, and I think green). All of these colors are in my rug in the dining room. I don't know if the green and gold one would be too limited since it only has 2 colors, even though the green looks to be an exact match to the green in my oven cabinets. And it is brighter too.

6 comments:

  1. These pendants are the 12v ones with the thin wires. I got the 120v since i did not want to deal with transformers. These are all pretty lights. How did you narrow it down to these?? When I looked at lights there were over 50 choices for the 12v just in the store, not to mention the catalog!! How many will be hanging over the bar??

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will be 3 over the bar. I wanted color, so that narrowed it down. I didn't want them too big. It couldn't be a spotlight coming down on the glass table (light bouncing back up into your eyes), so that eliminated a lot based on the type of bulb. The xenon bulbs disperse the light instead of shooting it straight down. Do you like one more than the other?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gayle...I like them all but REALLY love the shape/design of the green and gold one...I would pick those...but you have to pick YOUR favorite!! I love the wrought iron lamp!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll chime in here, (not that you asked ;)
    I prefer the green and yellow, to repeat the green on the other side.
    Also,I LOVE Hubberton Forge, I always recommend that company. and Yay VT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Idea: How about a colorful pendant in the half bath?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The green and gold one was wayyyyy too expensive. I can't put pendants in the bathroom because the electrical is over the mirror on the wall.

    ReplyDelete