For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Renovation - May 11



The plans for today: remove the door to the porch and replace it with a window, replace the other 3 section window, tear down sheetrock from the walls that will be removed, tear down the ceiling in the kitchen and dining room, remove the island. All of these were finished today.

I love the light, airy feel the kitchen has already. Being able to look out windows in the front and back of the house is great! However, removing the sheet rock and ceilings revealed things that might cause a change in plans. For instance, the multitude of bathroom pipes in the kitchen ceiling might prevent us from having a hood which is ducted to the outside. I am looking into a downdraft as an alternative. Heating pipes were also found inside walls that are supposed to be torn down. Hence, I got to meet the plumber a little earlier than scheduled because the pipes will have to be re-routed so the walls can be removed. Since this needs to be done before the workers can go forward, and the plumber cannot do the work until the day after tomorrow, I don't think any work will be done tomorrow.
In addition, the electrical estimate came in higher than expected, partially because we would like LED lighting


2 comments:

  1. It's looking great, Gayle!
    What a difference in light already..I love the big windows, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always expect the unexpected! I am loving the look already - can't wait to see it done!

    ReplyDelete