For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Monday, May 17, 2010

Renovation - May 14 - 16

Last Friday the microlam support beam was put in so the wall between the old dining room and the kitchen could be removed. Today, Monday, it was very busy. The electrician started his part of the job. The plumber was here to work on the heating and air conditioning vents. And the carpenters installed the supports in the ceiling for the sliding Shoji-like screen doors which will hide my large storage closet in the dining room. They also put up the wall between the kitchen and the coat room, framing the spot for the transom window above the ovens. And, last but not least, they installed the framework for the pocket door to the bathroom.

I thought you would like to see how we are functioning without a kitchen, so I have included pictures of our foyer and living room. I made a real dinner tonight - eye round roast (cooked in the micro/convection oven), snap peas (steamed in the rice cooker), and mashed potatoes (made in the microwave with hot water and potato flakes). We ate on the screened in porch. The dinner got rave reviews, not necessarily because it was so good, but because it was a real dinner! The kids are loving the clean-up routine after dinner - just throw the paper plates, cups, and plastic utensils in the garbage!




No comments:

Post a Comment