For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Monday, May 10, 2010

A New Beginning








Nutmeg Stairs and Cabinets here in Ellington is doing the renovation and Steve Luginbuhl is the job foreman. I have been working with their designer, Jonathan Brown, since the middle of December to come up with the design. It was a lot of fun and Jonathan was great to work with. I hope that what I visualize in my head will look just as nice in reality.


Vance and I built our house in 1988. At the time, we had been married for only 4 years and did not have any children. We liked contemporary homes and designed our home with lots of white. Our kitchen, as you can see in the photos, was white. White cabinets, white kitchen table, gray counter-tops, gray walls, black chairs, pale pink (almost white) half bath, off-white dining room ... you get the idea. Over time, the rest of our house has evolved, but now we are updating the remaining rooms. Good-bye white.

So we will be eating off paper plates, cooking on our grill or toaster oven or convection oven/microwave. I have an electric skillet. And a refrigerator. It almost feels like our week in the cabin in Lake George - but then again, that's only for week! There won't be much to clean and cooking will be limited, so I'll have lots more free time!

2 comments:

  1. Bye Bye old rooms - I can't believe that your house is as old as Hali!! I do remember bringing her to this house on our first visit back to CT after she was born. How time flies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ss-s-s-schew, I did it! I'm a follower \O/
    Gayle this is great; a first for Nutmeg.
    It will be fun as we watch the progress.
    I won't need to leave the office ;)
    I look forward to seeing and reading the reactions. Blog on!

    ReplyDelete