For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Waterfront


The beauty of a Lake Champlain sunset fills me with awe.

I've seen many sunsets here in my 53 years.
As I watch the changing light and colors,  it brings me back to other sunsets.
It brings me back to other times in my life.




 As a fifteen year old with thoughts of friends, crushes, fears and triumphs...


As an eighteen year old trying to envision my future in college and beyond...

As a 22 year about to move away from home, full of uncertainty and hope, fear and excitement...

As a 25 year old with my new husband looking forward to our life together...

As a 40 year old watching the same awe in the eyes of my children...

And in my 50's, with hopes for the futures of my children and an ache for the past when my parents were alive and life was not so complicated.

Throughout the years, the lake has helped me put life into perspective.
As you sit and watch the sun sink below the horizon
bringing the darkness of night,
you see the colors are constantly changing.
Just when you think it can't possibly get any prettier, it does.

When the clouds are present,  it makes the sky even more colorful and glorious.

And on rainy days when the colors over the lake are more gloomy,
you might just turn around to leave and see that they have just moved
to a different place in the sky... 






Then, when driving back to real life once again, up the hill,
you see the clouds have cleared and the sky is the bluest blue,
causing you to catch your breath once again with the beauty of it all.

Being here grounds me, calms me, and gives me hope for a bright future.

With certainty, I know I will be back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment