For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Friday, September 7, 2012

The Masks We Wear

We all do it.
We all wear masks.
For one reason or another.

Throughout my life, I have worn many masks.

As a child, I was very shy. 
I saw this as a flaw. 
After all, my teachers were quick to point it out on almost every report card.
I tried to wear a mask of self-confidence back then, but I know I wasn't very good at it.

As my life went on, I became much better at wearing masks.
I think we all do.

Masks of happiness when everything in life seems like it is crashing down on us.
Masks of confidence in the face of uncertainty.
Masks of indifference when we feel hurt or friends let us down.

How many of us would go out in public without make-up on?
There are so many ways we hide our true selves!

BUT, wearing these masks constantly causes us to feel alone. A popular quote says "You are only ever loved to the extent that you are known". We cannot feel loved for who we really are as long as we are not known as we really are. At the same time, we fear that if we expose our true selves we will be rejected.

I've been doing a lot of photography this summer - many senior portraits.
I get nervous every single time.
There are so many unknowns. 
I want so much to make each of these kids look good.
If they knew how anxious I really am, they would never want me taking their pictures.
They would never trust me with the job.
So I wear my photographer mask - a mask that I am confident and calm and know exactly what I'm doing!  If only they knew!
But as the summer went on,  I needed my mask less and less because I had actually gained REAL confidence.  The mask is not totally gone, but I'm getting there!

Writing this blog serves many purposes in my life.
One of these is letting the world know my true self - the real me.
Some people can't understand this.
They ask why I would want to talk about personal things in such a public way.

I guess it's my way of taking off my masks.
And it feels good.





No comments:

Post a Comment