For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Pride and Accountability



Ok.

I used to be an active person.

I used to bike, play tennis, cross country ski, downhill ski,
                        and jog.

During the years that we were trying to start our family,
I started running to relieve the stress of infertility.

Once I finally became pregnant, I stopped running.

Being a stay-at-home mom to 3 active kids,
I did a lot of running around, but not really exercise.

I skated...



I still went biking....




I played hopscotch and jump rope.
I would swim a little bit in the summer...



As they got bigger, we would go on family bike rides -
     but only as fast the the youngest child could go.
I started exercise programs, but nothing lasted.
Other responsibilities would always get in the way
       - or so I told myself.

I have belonged to LA Fitness for the past 2 years or so.
I usually get serious about it before bathing suit season.
But it takes so much time to go to the gym every day
that I can't sustain it for an extended period.

So last month, as it became impossible to zip up
my jeans once again, I knew I had to do something
that was easier to sustain and didn't take so much time.

I started running.

 NOTE:  THIS IS NOT A PICTURE OF ME!
It is a picture of what I would like to look like!


My first day out, I ran less than 1/2 mile and stopped 5 times.

I was disgusted with myself.
I felt old.

Then I found an APP for my iPhone that really motivates me.
It's called LogYourRun.

It uses GPS to keep track of your mileage.

I can listen to songs and it interrupts the song every quarter mile
        to tell me how far I have gone.

And it keeps track of my distance, speed, and effort.

I started using it my second time out..........

19:13 min             0.9 miles        22:05 min/mile










and I stopped 3 times to walk.

Pretty bad.
But it has motivated me.
That, and watching the contestants on the Biggest Loser
       run a marathon!

Since then, here are my stats.

13:18 min           1.04 mile            12:47 min/mile
12:29 min           1.05 miles           11:53 min/mile
14:53 min           1.24 miles           12:00 min/mile
12:34 min           1.06 miles           11:51 min/mile
15:08 min           1.37 miles           11:02 min/mile
16:46 min           1.45 miles           11:34 min/mile
16:07 min           1.44 miles           11:12 min/mile
16:20 min           1.40 miles           11:40 min/mile 


I am seeing progress.
I definitely slowed down after eating all those
         Christmas goodies!

But I am not stopping to walk anymore.
And I have increased my mileage - somewhat.

Now I am going to use my PRIDE to keep me going.

EVERY TIME I WRITE A BLOG ENTRY,
I WILL LOG MY RUNS.

I will be accountable to you.

I hate to lose.
I hate to say I can't do something.
I hate to give up -

especially when someone is watching.

So wish me luck.
And get on me if I slack off.




















































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment