For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Friday, January 6, 2012

Momma, Don't Take My Kodachrome Away


"Kodachrome, it gives us those nice bright colors
Gives us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!
I got a Nikon camera, I love to take a photograph
So momma, don't take my Kodachrome away..."


~Paul Simon, Kodachrome


I began taking an online photography course
on Photographic Composition this week.

It's all about composing better pictures.
It's about seeing things, noticing things.

Noticing patterns,
               lines,
               light,
               shadow,
               repetition.

The first assignment was to go outside
and take pictures of these things.

So I went on a hike and stopped in one area.
And I looked around.
I looked high and low.
I stayed in one spot and looked in every direction.

It's amazing how much you see when you try.

Oh, and I forgot to mention...
The pictures have to be black and white.





There were interesting lines and patterns on the railroad trestle.





 A stone stuck in the pedestrian crossing grate.


This bolt was holding the railing.
Yikes!

 

  Without color, it's easier to notice light and shadow.
 
 There was a nice pattern of light and shadow on the stones
behind the tree.

 

The bridge from below.
Patterns of lines and squares.


 Without leaves, it's easy to see shapes in the branches.


 Lichen on tree bark.


 A pretty, curly vine.


 A single red berry.


 Concentric circles in the top of a log.


The sun came out briefly and helped create
patterns of light and shadow.


 An old piece of farm machinery -
I'm not sure what it's purpose was.
It's not a wheel because I could see the
rubber tire on the wheel.
Any ideas?


 A perfect letter "e" on the ground.

 
The posts and their shadows form a nice
set of lines.


Downed tree limbs form an "x"
as the sun shines through.


I had a lot of fun with this assignment.

Black and white photography forces you to
take pictures differently.

It makes you notice shapes, light, and shadow.

Sometimes color can be distracting.

But if I had to choose between the two...

I'd go with color every time.


______________________________________

13:18 min           1.04 mile            12:47 min/mile
12:29 min           1.05 miles           11:53 min/mile
14:53 min           1.24 miles           12:00 min/mile
12:34 min           1.06 miles           11:51 min/mile
15:08 min           1.37 miles           11:02 min/mile
16:46 min           1.45 miles           11:34 min/mile
16:07 min           1.44 miles           11:12 min/mile
16:20 min           1.40 miles           11:40 min/mile
15:54 min           1.40 miles           11.21 min/mile






2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed your photos, Gayle. You are extremely creative with a very good eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous b+w photos, Gayle...and you GO GIRL! I am so proud of you for running! Wow.

    ReplyDelete