For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Monday, January 9, 2012

The House is Sinking!

Have nothing in your house that you do not know 
to be useful, or believe to be beautiful. --William Morris

 

When my husband read my blog entry with my running times, he couldn't understand why I would willingly let anyone to know how out-of-shape I am!

Well, here I go again.

When you look at the above picture,
how does it make you feel?

How about this one?


When I see these pictures, I feel very uncomfortable!

Clutter.

Lack of order.

I hate it.

In fact, for me, OUTER ORDER contributes to INNER CALM. 

I am ashamed to admit that these pictures were taken in MY basement.

How does it get this way?

Every winter I spend a day or two organizing the basement and putting things back where they belong.


In past years, I have bought organization systems.


I label everything so everyone knows where to find things.
And where to put them back.

BUT, they NEVER get put back where they belong.


This doesn't bother ANYONE ELSE IN MY HOUSE!
Heck, my kids bedrooms generally don't look
          much different than this!

When my kids were younger,
I called them together and told them
I had gotten a phone call from town hall.
The town told me our house was too heavy
and was beginning to sink into the ground!
I gave them each a garbage bag so they
could help us save the house from going under!
They had to decide what they could part with.

(This was one of my shining moments of motherhood!)

Being children who still believed that Santa could
fit gifts for the entire world into his little sleigh -
naive about weights and measures -
they fell for it! 


Oh, the pleasure I derived from this little project!

Now that they are older, I can't fool them anymore.


So I keep the doors to their bedrooms shut
and do the best I can.


But they have the advantage.
It's 4 of them to 1 of me.


Tomorrow I'll organize the basement once again.
Maybe this year it will stay that way!


____________________________________________
My jogging log (new entries in red)

13:18 min           1.04 mile            12:47 min/mile
12:29 min           1.05 miles           11:53 min/mile
14:53 min           1.24 miles           12:00 min/mile
12:34 min           1.06 miles           11:51 min/mile
15:08 min           1.37 miles           11:02 min/mile
16:46 min           1.45 miles           11:34 min/mile
16:07 min           1.44 miles           11:12 min/mile
16:20 min           1.40 miles           11:40 min/mile
15:54 min           1.40 miles           11:21 min/mile
15:03 min           1.40 miles           10:40 min/mile
15:39 min           1.40 miles           11:11 min/mile




1 comment:

  1. It's funny that you and I both posted about getting more organized this year. And keeping it that way! I totally agree about outer chaos and inner peace =]

    ReplyDelete