For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Thursday, January 12, 2012

If I Had a Hammer...

Maybe we like the pain. Maybe we’re wired that way. 
Because without it, I don’t know… 
maybe we just wouldn’t feel real.
What’s that saying? 
“Why do I keep hitting myself with a hammer?” 
“Because it feels so good when I stop.” 
                                                            ~ Meredith Grey

Beginning a running program at the age of 52 has not been easy.

I started running/walking in November.
Fifteen runs later, and I still feel like crap.

My legs.
My mother used to call me her "little pony" because I had long, skinny legs and could run so easily.

I'm no pony anymore!
Gone are the long, graceful strides of just a few years ago too.
My legs feel more like those of ...

an elephant!

Only I'm sure an elephant can run much faster than me.

Over the last few days, my legs have been aching after I run.
So tonight I decided to google
"starting a running program after the age of 50"
for some tips.

I found a really good article accompanied by the following picture:




This is not exactly what I picture myself looking like...
However, good for those OLD ladies!  You go, girls!

The article described the highs of running:

Your arms, legs, and breathing fall into a rhythm that eventually lulls your brain into a meditative "no-stress zone".

My runs are anything but meditative right now!
And my breathing can more aptly be described as
            "sucking wind".
It has no rhythm.

I can remember the days of yesteryear when I would get lost in thought as I jogged along.

Now my brain has no room for thoughts other than making sure I put one foot in front of the other and lift my heavy legs high enough not to trip and fall flat on my face when the sidewalk is uneven.

Run only when you're pain free.

Bad idea!  If I kept to this one, I would never run at all!


I'm sure there are those of you reading this who are young and thinking to themselves
        "I will never let myself get THAT out of shape".

I remember saying the same thing about my mother.
That was BEFORE.

Before what?

Before SO MANY things that you are yet to experience.

So, why will I keep running, despite pain and suffering it entails?

Because "it feels so good when I stop"!


______________________________________________


My jogging log (new entries in red)

13:18 min           1.04 mile            12:47 min/mile
12:29 min           1.05 miles           11:53 min/mile
14:53 min           1.24 miles           12:00 min/mile
12:34 min           1.06 miles           11:51 min/mile
15:08 min           1.37 miles           11:02 min/mile
16:46 min           1.45 miles           11:34 min/mile
16:07 min           1.44 miles           11:12 min/mile
16:20 min           1.40 miles           11:40 min/mile
15:54 min           1.40 miles           11:21 min/mile
15:03 min           1.40 miles           10:40 min/mile
15:39 min           1.40 miles           11:11 min/mile
15:25 min           1.40 miles           10:51 min/mile
15:28 min           1.40 miles           11:03 min/mile 

No comments:

Post a Comment