For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Monday, January 2, 2012

Let Time Stand Still

Time flies. Time waits for no man. Time heals all wounds. All any of us wants is more time. Time to stand up. Time to grow up. Time to let go. Time.   ~Dr. Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy

Today was quite a day for TIME.

Today was a new day,

... a new week,

... a new month,

... a new year.

How did I spend my TIME today, January 1, 2012?

My day began with a dream.  A nice dream.
In fact, I didn't want to wake up.
I dreamed I was visiting my mom and dad - and they were both alive and well.
They say dreams come and go in an instant.
Thankfully this dream seemed to last a long TIME.
 
I didn't do a whole lot today.
I didn't shower.
I didn't even get out of my pajamas.

Some people would say I wasted TIME today.

Around two o'clock, I went upstairs to a bedroom
at the farthest end of the house and crawled under
the comforter and      fell    asleep.

Over the next 4 hours I went in and out of sleep.

I heard my dogs walk in and check to see if I was awake.

Each time I woke up, I thought I should get up
            and accomplish something.


Then I decided not to. 
And I drifted back to sleep.

It was already dark when I finally awoke for good.
I stayed warm and content under the covers, listening.
I heard the TV downstairs.
I heard my husband ask my daughter if she was hungry.
The door to my son's room opened and I smiled to myself
           as I heard his stomping footsteps go downstairs.
My guess is that he had been sleeping too.
I wondered what Annie was doing.
I wondered if anyone knew where I was.

As I lay there, I reflected on the past year.
I mused over the possibilities of this new year.

But mostly, I just basked in the present moment...

My family is home, together.
We are all healthy and happy.

Let TIME stand still for today.

It doesn't get any better than this.






No comments:

Post a Comment