For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Saturday, November 10, 2012

Jesus, Take the Wheel!

This morning my husband took one of our cars in to the Toyota dealership for service.
I picked him up and we went out for breakfast.  We tried a different breakfast spot
on Sullivan Ave in South Windsor.  The Red Cabin.  It was ok.

After breakfast, I had to drop him back off at Toyota to pick up the car,
so I was driving.  But since it wouldn't be ready for another half hour,
I told him I needed to get something at JoAnn's Fabrics.

As we headed down Buckland Road toward JoAnn's,
he asked  "Where you going?"  in a semi-frantic kind of way.

I said "JoAnn's Fabrics, remember?"

He said "Why didn't you turn left?"

I said "Because that's not how you get there.  It's straight."

He said "I thought it was up by Target."

I said "No, it's straight ahead to the right."

So I drove to JoAnn's and parked.
I got what I needed (vinyl to put over the new sofa where the cat scratches it).
We got back in the car.
I was still driving.

Pulling out of the parking lot, I started to turn right to go back out
to Buckland Road, the way we came in.

He said "Where you going?"

I said "To drop you off at Toyota"

He said "You need to go left"

I said "No I don't.  I'm going back out the way I came in."

He said "You can't go out that way!"

I said "Yes you can. I do it all the time."

He said "No you can't"

Instead of arguing, I turned left instead.
I didn't mention that now I would have two extra traffic lights to make it through.

We got to the main intersection and I got in the right lane to turn right.

He said "Where you going?"

I said "To drop you off at Toyota."

He said "Why are you turning. You need to go straight."

This time I didn't answer, but continued to drive the way I wanted to.

Then he realized where I was going.

He said "Oh, you're taking the highway.  It's faster to go through the mall."

I said "I don't really care if I get there faster.  I like to go on the highway."

I DIDN'T question his reasoning.  You see, by going on the highway one
exit, I was avoiding 7 traffic lights on a busy road.  There was no doubt in
my mind it was faster to take the highway.

When I got off the exit, I pre-empted his query by announcing that I planned
to turn left at the end of the ramp.

He said "That's good."

This is why I don't like to drive when my husband is the passenger!










1 comment:

  1. And, Gayle, that's why I NEVER EVER EVER drive when husband is in the car. I just sit back and let him worry about traffic lights!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete