For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Monday, November 12, 2012

802-862-5247

Surprises are great!
Whether they are big or small, happy or sad.

Yes, even sad surprises can be good sometimes.

Yesterday, for instance.

I suddenly had a very strong urge to call my mom.

As I sat at my computer,  it was as if the clock had been
turned back to a time when it was normal for me to just pick
up the phone for no particular reason to just chat with my
mom while I was having my lunch or cooking dinner.  She was
always there, it seemed, and we would just pass the time
together for a little while.

I even picked up the phone and dialed her number.

802-862-5247

It rang.  I was ready to hang up until I heard the
comforting voice of the operator saying that this
line is no longer in service.

Inside my heart, I cheered!

Nobody has taken my mom's phone number yet.

Then I cried.

It's been a while since Grief has surprised me like this.

Still, I am grateful.  Grateful for that moment yesterday
when I felt connected to my mom.  Grateful that somehow
I was allowed to experience a normal moment that I
have had many thousands of times before.

But most of all, grateful for that precious moment
when I didn't remember.

2 comments: