For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My Girls

You probably know I have two daughters, Kerry and Annie.

What you might not know is that I have a bond with MANY other girls that I spent a LOT of time with over the years.  I was the leader of two Girl Scout troops. 

This summer, the girls in the youngest troop became Seniors in high school, and I have had the honor of taking some of their Senior portraits.  We haven't really been together as a troop since the end of 6th grade, but I see them here and there and I still feel like they are "my girls", feeling a bond with them that has remained in my heart since the olden days.


So far this summer, I have taken pictures of 4 of my girls.

Annie, of course... 
Then:

And now:


Sarah - then:
And Sarah - now:

Gigi - then:
And Gigi - now:

And Renee - then:

And Renee - now:

As I look at them now, I can't help but remember all of the fun times we had back then.
I get nostalgic and think about how fast they have grown up.
As I aim the camera at them, the line between the little girl I once knew well and the beautiful young women they are becomes blurred.
I still can so easily see their innocent little faces free of makeup and free of cares.
This next year will not be an easy one for them.
SATs, college applications, and a year of LASTs.

I feel fortunate that I can be a part of this time of their lives in this way.
Capturing this moment in time before "the rest of their life" begins.

And I look forward to seeing more of my girls over the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment