For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Thursday, July 26, 2012

Find a Penny, Pick it Up...


I haven't been writing as often lately because I've been so busy taking pictures.
When I started my photography business, I never dreamed I would be getting so many calls.
I'm not complaining.
But for the rest of the summer until school begins, I just have to let certain things slide.
Like housework, yard work, and this blog.

The other day, as I was doing a photo session for Allison in a nearby old town, we ventured into the site of a building that had been taken down.  As we were walking across the rubble toward the brick wall pictured above, I saw what looked like an old dime.  I didn't have my glasses on, so I couldn't really see it very well.  I put it in my pocket.

Yesterday I remembered it was there and showed it to Kerry and Annie.
Kerry looked at it and said it looks like a penny from the year 1891!



We thought for sure it was worth something!
Kerry immediately googled it and found it was worth 200x its original value.
$2.00

Our excitement quickly faded.

Then I started thinking about how old it was, and
wondered what was going on in the world when this penny was shiny and new.

This is what I discovered:

- Benjamin Harrison was president
- Wyoming became a state
-  James Naismith, a YMCA instructor in Springfield, MA created the game of basketball.
   The first basketball game was played by 18 students at Springfield College.
-  Carnegie Hall opened its doors
-  Thomas Edison patented the motion picture camera
-  Thomas Edison patented "transmission of signals electrically" (Radio)
-  Stanford University opened
-  The first gasoline powered car debuts in Springfield, MA
-  The Wrigley Company was founded
-  The first electric oven was made
-  W.L. Judson invented the zipper
-  The first submarine was invented in Holland

 Pretty cool to consider what life was like for the people that carried this penny around in 1891.

What will I do with it?

I think I'll save it for my grandkids.
Maybe one of them will love history.

Or maybe by then it will be worth more - like $3.00?




No comments:

Post a Comment