For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Thursday, March 17, 2016

Parking for Irish Grandmas

St. Patrick's Day was always a big deal when I was young.  My dad was Polish, but my mom was very proud to be Irish.  Her maiden name was Shea!

Here is a picture of my parents' garage.


If you look on the back wall, you will see these signs.

 In their later years, my mom and dad had a lot of fun celebrating
the holiday with their friends.  My dad added a touch
of green to his beautiful white head of hair.  He always
wore his green jacket too.  My mom usually added shamrocks
to her clothing and wore a green hat.  
No doubt they had a good time!





I still have one of the signs from my parents' garage.
It is hanging on the wall of my garage.
Happy memories of my mom are triggered whenever I see it.
Today, it has a special meaning.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment