For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Wednesday, January 20, 2016

I Had a Wonderful Time


I traveled back to my home town for a funeral last weekend.
Is it awful to say that I had a wonderful time?

My mom's brother, Vernon, passed away at the age of 91 in Vermont.
Both of my sisters also traveled to be there, with Lori coming all the 
way from Alaska.  It was also attended by all 9 of his children, many 
grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and quite a few 
of my cousins, my Aunt Aurora (his wife) and my Uncle Jack.

This was virtually a family reunion.


Each person there knew my uncle in a different way.  
Uncle, father, grandpa, friend, boss, fellow serviceman.
I remember him fondly - always well dressed, always smiling, 
always with a story to tell, and always making me laugh.


In the sharing of stories, I learned a lot about him
that I didn't know. I also disovered things that helped 
me to piece together commonalities in our family history
 - similar traits that span generations - enabling me
to make sense of so much.  It also gave me a sweet sense 
of belonging that has diminished over the many years 
I've lived away from "home" and haven't spent much 
time with my extended family.


My Uncle Vernon was married to Aunt Aurora for 69 years.  She is pictured above with
my uncle early in their marriage, and below at the reception after the
funeral with me, Lori,  and Uncle Jack.


Uncle Jack, above center, is pictured below with Lori (baby) and his wife,
Aunt Connie.  They are Lori's god-parents.


So many memories of my younger years are of time spent
with aunts, uncles and cousins.  Moving away from Vermont
 after college, I regretfully lost touch with most of my cousins.
I would hear news through my parents, but it wasn't the same.
But then again, we were all leading busy lives working and 
raising our families.  This weekend, though, we were able to
reconnect and I was reminded of their value in my life.


Lori and I were able to spend time with Kevin and Debbie (above right)...


who are also pictured here.  Kevin and I are the little ones sitting on
the floor, and Debbie is standing wearing the red dress.  My cousin,
Stevie, is back-row center, and my brother, Paul, is holding Bugs Bunny.


My cousin, Dale is pictured with us above,  and in the center of 
the photo below.  I am the little girl to the right of her on the float.


Almost every weekend in the summer, our families would go camping
together.  We also drove caravan-style to Florida in the winter 
during our winter break from school to camp in the warm weather
and have fun together.


I have so many happy memories of times spent with my cousins. 
Swimming.  Talking.  Laughing.  Sitting around the campfire
at night as my uncles told stories (as only they knew
how to do).  Listening to my Uncle Jack sing Danny Boy.
Giggling as my uncles went skinny dipping in the lake at night.
Thanksgivings. Christmases. Parties.


I wish I had pictures with all of my cousins,
but I was happy with the many conversations we had.

Family is one of the greatest blessings we are given.  They
are a huge part of my sense of identity and sense of belonging.
We share biographies.  
We are so different and yet so much the same.

I'm so grateful for last weekend. 
Not for what brought us all together,
but for spending time together.
I had a wonderful time.












1 comment:

  1. Gayle, beautifully written. I was feeling similarly. Happy also to hang with my nieces and nephews, who I rarely get to see despite that many live close by. Made some personal resolutions to remedy that.

    Cousin Pam

    ReplyDelete