For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Monday, August 18, 2014

I Dwell in Possibility

This blog is about me, and only me.  Sometimes I'm selfish that way.  So if you're looking for pictures of Adam or Kerry or Annie, you won't find them here today.  Nor will there be photos of pets.  Just me.



Being an introvert,  I look inward very often.  I reflect on the course of my life with all of its twists and turns.  I think about why I have made the decisions that I made, why I acted a certain way - or didn't act.  I think about how I became the person I am today.

Many people believe it's silly to dwell on the past because it cannot be changed. While it's not good to "dwell", I think it's very good to "revisit".


As we journey through our years,  we change so much in many different ways.  We change as we adapt to our surroundings and circumstances.


Sometimes we take on characteristics of our spouses or friends that are not naturally our own.


Or maybe with the demands of parenthood and raising young children
we become so used to putting others first that we lose track of the small things that used to bring us happiness.  


I'm 55 years old now.  I've been spending a lot of time lately thinking about all that's good in my life, but also putting a lot of consideration into things I'd like to change to make the coming years all they can be.


Emily Dickinson wrote "I dwell in Possibility."


If I'm sure of only one thing in the coming years, it's this. 
No matter what life throws at me, I will continue to be happy.
Life's too short not to be.



2 comments:

  1. Great read Gayle. I agree with you on this one and I too want to dwell in possibility. :-). Oh and yay for writing about you and only you. There IS life after the children are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just beautiful, Gayle...and so are you! Love, Marci

    ReplyDelete