For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Friday, July 11, 2014

All Good Things...

This past month has been a very special time for me because my whole family was home!   We would be moving Adam to NYC on July 6 and Kerry to Nashville on July 10, so I was treasuring my time with them.  

Even though I know we will all be together in this house in the future, I also know that this was most likely the last time we would all be LIVING here together. Wow!  The magnitude of this thought brings tears to my eyes!

Seeing my garage filled with all that they would be taking with them kept reminding me of how temporary this time was.



We had talked about taking a family vacation together during this time, but the idea was nixed in favor of relaxing at home.  So we did normal things.  We watched Master Chef together on Monday nights.  The girls watched The Bachelorette (Adam would never admit to watching such a show, but he spent a lot of time standing in the kitchen while it was on, asking lots of questions!).  Some of Adam's friends spent time with us - Emily, Kayla and Pat.  Lucas came over so that Adam could whoop him at badminton.  We went to the beach.

The one thing we did most often, though, was drive to Collins Creamery in the evening for ice cream.

So on our final night all together, after having dinner at home with Grandma Alice, we headed to Collins one last time.  Kerry's friends Mel and Parker came along with us.











                                    
                                 

There were many towns having their 4th of July fireworks displays that night and we were fortunate to be able to watch them over the corn field as we ate our cones.

                                    




                      Before we left, Adam and Kerry took a picture with their grandmother.


                           Then Mel offered to take a picture of our whole family.


                           This was the last time Kerry would see Parker before leaving.


                              There would be many more good-byes to come.

                                      All good things must come to an end.













No comments:

Post a Comment