For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Boy and His Dog


"In order to have a true perspective of one's importance, everyone should have a dog that will worship him and a cat that will ignore him."   Dereke Bruce

This quote perfectly fits my son, Adam.

Our dog, Sami, adores Adam.  Our cat, Maddie, rejects any of his attempts to make friends.



Sami lived the first half (5 years) of his life with Adam living at home.  For the last 5 years, Adam had lived mostly in Vermont.  He came home only here and there for weekends or holidays, or a few months during the summer.

When Adam is home he pays a lot of attention to the dogs - he truly loves having them around.

Sami has a very special bond with Adam, though.  

When Adam is not home, Sami sleeps in my bedroom.  But whenever Adam comes home, things change.  Sami waits for me to go to bed and stays in my room until I turn out the light.  I hear him get up and saunter down the hallway, his toenails clicking on the hardwood floor.  If Adam's door is shut, he stands on his hind legs and pushes against the door while one paw pushes the door handle down.  Then he lays down next to Adam's bed and stays until morning.

Adam was home for over a month this summer and Sami was a happy boy.

                 

We have an empty space in our kitchen cabinets while we wait for a new beverage refrigerator.  Sami likes to lay in there.  Adam, being the thoughtful person that he is, made a sign and named the space "Sami's Nook".  He even decorated it with pictures of Sami's favorite things:             


Bunnies, popcorn, fans, apples...


Baywood Kennels,  the cat's litter box...

What a lucky dog!

Well, Adam has moved out once again.  

On Sunday, we drove him to New York City where he will spend the next year in graduate school.

Sami wanted to go too.
 

That night, after I turned out my light, I watched him walk down the hall to Adam's room.  He stood by the door and listened, hoping to hear Adam's fan. He looked confused.  I went and opened the bedroom door for him and watched sadly as he lay next to the empty bed.

                                    

                                        

He didn't stay.  He must have figured it out because within a few minutes I heard his nails clicking back down the hallway before he jumped onto the bottom of my bed. 

I understand, Sami. 

I miss him too.









    

No comments:

Post a Comment