For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Monday, December 3, 2012

Thanks, Enzo!


The purpose of this blog is not to review books.
It's about my life.
But since this book made such a huge impact on my life,
I thought it only fitting that I talk about it!

I read this book a few weeks ago.
Well, I didn't actually read it.  I listened to it.
I do that a lot lately-listen to audiobooks as I work or walk my dogs.

"The Art of Racing in the Rain" is not a new book.
It's been around awhile.
I'm a little late to the party, but it's been on my "to read" list
for a long time.

When I listened to the first chapter, I admit I didn't love it
right away.  If I hadn't paid for the audiobook, I probably would
have stopped listening.   I'm soooo glad I didn't stop!

It's a simple book written in the voice of Enzo, a dog.
At the end of his life, Enzo looks back at the times of his life
with his beloved owner, Denny.  And the story unfolds.

In the telling, Enzo has a way of seeing the human world
that is funny and very insightful.  His simple observations
and wisdom teach us many things about how to live our lives.

I was literally sobbing in the last chapters of this book.
I didn't want it to end.  I didn't want Enzo to die.
And while the tears were still wet, I gave my dogs some extra
hugs as I listened to the last few chapters over again.

This book is not just for dog-lovers, although I think perhaps
it is a bit more enjoyable if you have ever known and loved one.
Dog lover or not, it forces you to look at life differently.
It shows you how to live a better life.
That's why I liked it so much!

“There is no dishonor in losing the race. There is only dishonor in not racing because you are afraid to lose.” 
― Garth SteinThe Art of Racing in the Rain






No comments:

Post a Comment