For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Spilled Paint and Grey Grout


I have been putting my daughter, Kerry, to work around the house this week for my sake and for hers. 

Today she was given the job of painting some trim in my bedroom that has been bothering me for about 3 years.  You see, I painted the rest of my bedroom 3 years ago, then got sidetracked by life and I left a few windows (I hate to paint windows!) and door trim undone.

So I went down to the basement and found the can of paint, stirred it up, put the cover back on,  and carried it up to my bedroom.











I carried it through the unfinished part of the basement,
through the laundry room,
through the finished carpeted basement,
up the carpeted basement stairs,
through the tiled foyer,
up the carpeted stairs,
and into my bedroom. 

I had brought along a big piece of cardboard to put the paint can on so nothing would get on my bedroom floor.  I set it down on the cardboard and proceeded to show my daughter what she needed to do.

It was at this point that I noticed there was paint on the bamboo floor and paint dripped on both of my feet.

I looked at the paint can and there was nothing on the outside of the can.  It was clean.

I picked it up and there was a pool of white paint collecting underneath the can. Oh S@!&%

The paint had been drizzling out the bottom of the can all the way from the basement!

I won't bore you with the details of the clean-up, with the exception of an amazing discovery!

The grout in the tile of our foyer really isn't dark brown!!!!!


After cleaning a patch of white paint off the grout with a toothbrush,  I discovered the grout is really grey!  Imagine that!

Since the floor was laid back in 1988,  I have washed it many times.  But I have never noticed the grout was changing color.

It made me wonder, what other things in my life have gone unnoticed?

And what will it take to make me notice them?





4 comments:

  1. Hahahha, well you DID notice that paint was dripping all over the floor and your foot!
    Wow, I am very impressed that Kerry is painting your trim! Way to go, Kerry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! You are such a graceful and beautiful woman.
    I came across your blog last week. Now I have to read your articles everyday. They are so beautiful! I really enjoy your writings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cicila. I'm glad you enjoy my posts. I really love blogging about my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to know about the information i also looking some information of Flooring maintenance services .This flooring system attract me much.
    Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete