For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Monday, July 25, 2011

My Sister, My Self


I just got back from Alaska.  I was visiting my sister.

My sister is pretty special.

I can't think of a single person in this world who knows me better than my sister.

She knows the child that I was, the teen-age that I came to be, and the adult that I am.

She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities. She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway. She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink.
-- Barbara Alpert


My memory is not the greatest these days, but I honestly can't think of a time when we have fought with each other.

When we disagree, I have to think about it really hard because it's like disagreeing with myself.  We are so much alike that it's impossible not to give great consideration to her point of view.

Yet we are very different too.  But differences that might drive me crazy in someone else don't seem to bother me in my sister.

A sister can be seen as someone who is both ourselves and very much not ourselves - a special kind of double.
-- Toni Morrison


My sister lives far away from me, but that doesn't matter.  She is only a phone call away.

I couldn't imagine what it would be like to go through the ups and downs of life without her.


“There can be no situation in life in which the conversation of my dear sister will not administer some comfort to me.”
 --Mary Worley Montagu



Oh, I just remembered something.
We did have a fight one time.
I have a scar above my eye to prove it.
Don't get Lori mad when she has a baton in her hand!  :)











2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures of you and your sister!! Did Kerry take those??
    Sounds like you had a fabulous time :)

    ReplyDelete