For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Renovation - June 22








Today was a big day! The counter-tops
arrived! We picked out white quartz Silestone. What a difference it made in the kitchen! We also took the plastic protective covering off the windows. The lights are all working now, and WE HAVE A TOILET downstairs again. The small door pulls are on the rest of the cabinets too. The plumber comes tomorrow to connect the sinks, disposal, and dishwasher. We are still waiting for the rest of the appliances to be delivered. They say either tomorrow or Thursday.

I will be away for the rest of the week taking Kerry to her orientation at the University of Vermont, so no more updates until Saturday. But I will be busy in Burlington looking for things to decorate our new space.









The vessel bowl is not attached yet, but it looks like this. And the toilet is shown below.





























We got a black quartz top for the cabinets in the dining room area because we wanted it to look less like a kitchen in there. The door pulls are very minimalistic here too.

The wrought iron music staff and corner shelf were in my father's basement. I found them last year when we were cleaning out his house to be sold. He made them many years ago when he owned a wrought iron business (before IBM). They were all rusted, but my daughter Annie spent the afternoon yesterday sanding the rust off and she painted them today. We will use them somewhere in the kitchen/dining room and will remember my dad, who made this whole project possible!

3 comments:

  1. Gayle! I am speechless...It looks incredible..love love the white countertops and the black quartz too in the dining room area. And that beautiful music staff!! What a lovely tribute to your Dad that will be! I am sure he is smiling about that...and how cute is Annie? She did a fantastic job..it looks brand new. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayle: This has been a special project.
    Although there are some fun and unique elements, it's very nice to include a part of your father's past. Wishing you many happy family memories to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind comments. When I saw the musical staff after Annie finished painting it, I have to admit I was moved to tears. My dad was such a special man with so many talents. I am proud to be his daughter, and I will be proud to hang his creations in my new kitchen!

    ReplyDelete