For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Saturday, July 14, 2018

The End, or A New Beginning?


I began writing this blog in 2010.   It began as a way to document the renovation of my kitchen.  Adam was a sophomore in college.  Kerry was beginning her Freshman year of college, and Annie was starting her sophomore year of high school. 


Eight years later, all of my children are grown and live on their own.
I live an active but uneventful life (in comparison to before).
I am looking forward to my husband's retirement in the not-too-distant future.


I also I find myself at a crossroads.


So much of what I write about has to do with being a mom.
However, my role in that respect has dramatically changed.
Is it my place, now, to tell THEIR stories?  
I think not.


I have found that I've posted less and less over the past few years.
I've done a lot of thinking as to why, and I realize that my life has changed
significantly since 2016.  My focus has changed.  The world has changed.


Until 2016, I have never been greatly interested in politics.  
Sure, during presidential elections I would try to educate myself 
in order to make an informed decision, 
but on a daily basis,
 I had more important things to do.


For the past 2 or 3 years, my primary task each day 
has been to keep abreast on what is happening in our country 
and the world.  I find it extremely interesting.  


The downside to this wave of knowledge is how it weighs so heavy on my heart. 
When I think about writing a blog post,  I say to myself,
"With everything happening in this world that is so important,
nobody would want to read about something so insignificant."


In addition,  my camera rarely comes out of its case.  
I used to find peace in photography.  
And since photos have always been the main focus of my blog,
(in addition to being the inspiration for each post)
there has been something missing.


All of this brings me to today.  


In recent weeks, I've taken my camera out more frequently.
When my family was together on Father's Day,  we took these
pictures in the yard. The kids especially wanted pictures
 with our older pets who we suspect might not be with us
 for much longer.


I really do love taking pictures!


If I do continue to blog, will I be able to find enough inspiration in my life?


I don't think of myself as an exciting person.  
I don't take a lot of chances.
I'm not a thrill-seeker.
I'm not really comfortable being the center of attention.


Nonetheless,  I do have a story of my own.


Everyone does.


I  LOVE my life.


If I do continue, it will have to be MY story.
Not theirs.


Perhaps I'll give it a try. 
Until the end of the year.
That's always a good time for endings and beginnings.

6 comments:

  1. You have such a beautiful family and take wonderful pictures too. Please continue to share. As your family evolves I'm sure it will include you in many ways which is your story. I hope the lappies stick around a bit longer for you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who you are, but thank you so much for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. GayleTales is not optional...it is essential! It is beauty and kindness and intelligence and love. It is what we all need. Please keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Wow! I'm happy that you get something positive from my posts! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. You brought them into this world and they should be pleased and grateful that you tell their stories, esp Adam. I would hope that they provide you with the beautiful grandchildren that you deserve ����, esp Adam! Love you Adam but I love Gayle more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam told me you had commented on my post! Thank you for being a "fan" - as Adam told me. We'll see about the grandchildren lol!

      Delete