For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Wednesday, July 18, 2018

My Neighbors


I go to the gym early in the morning before even the dogs are awake.
When I get home, my husband is already on his way to work
and my dogs are waiting at the door to greet me.

About a year ago,  I began a ritual that the dogs have come to know and love.
With the serotonin boost from my workout,  I walk in the door and say brightly,

"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!"

Then, as their tales wag uncontrollably, I start to sing the song
I learned from Mr. Rogers.  As I sing, I pet them enthusiastically 
all over their bodies, from heads to tails.  When I get to the line
"I've always wanted to have a neighbor JUST LIKE YOU"
I pat them three times on their backs for emphasis
and continue to the end of the song.

I believe Sami and Halle really look forward to this, 
but not as much as I do.  
It makes me happy and appreciative
every day.



Needless to say, I was and continue to be a big fan of Fred Rogers.
He was someone who taught me how to be a good neighbor.
and was a role model for how to love my neighbor.

When I was young, my "neighborhood" was quite limited.
As it should be, as I grew, so did my "neighborhood".
Today, my understanding of my "neighborhood" is quite worldly.

Still, the wisdom of Mr. Rogers can guide us.








If Mr. Rogers had been on television in recent years, I suspect he would have
advocated for the rights of the LGBTQ community.  As a mother to a member
of that community,  the last quote is especially meaningful.

My neighborhood, now, also includes so many people that I will never meet or know:

refugees fleeing violence and war,
children separated from their parents at the border,
people persecuted because of their race, religion, color,
or sexual orientation,
and so many more.

Mr. Roger's wisdom applies universally and could be used to help make the world 
a better place for all.

(For those who may be interested,  the documentary
"Won't You Be My Neighbor?"
is excellent!  Bring a tissue!)







No comments:

Post a Comment