For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Monday, March 23, 2015

Happy 87th Birthday!

On this day in 1928,  a great man was born.  My dad.

Dad passed away 6 years ago.
He would have been 87 years old today.


This morning, I watched the slideshow of his life that was played at his funeral.  It felt good to see him in the pictures and devote time to just remembering.

Remembering how kind his eyes were.
Remembering his laugh.
Remembering his voice.
Remembering how he used to hum while he was making a sandwich, or when he was trying to figure something out.



This picture of him and me was taken at his 70th birthday party.  It's hard to believe that was 17 years ago!  It's one of my favorites because I think we look a lot alike.  And I don't have many pictures of just the two of us.

When I went to bed last night,  I was thinking a lot about him.
I was hoping that maybe he could get in touch with me today - somehow.
I asked him to try.

Even if that doesn't happen,  I feel really close to my dad today.
And I shed tears of love for him and all he means to me.
Those things will never die.

Happy 87th birthday, Daddy.




No comments:

Post a Comment