For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Monday, November 3, 2014

Death with Dignity

Months can go by without remembering.

I think it was triggered by the news story of Brittany Maynard's "death with dignity"  in Oregon.

I was fortunate to be present during the deaths of the two people who gave me life.

My mom's dying moments came as she was literally wasting away with no hope of recovery.  She had been unconscious.  Her will to live was gone long before medical technology let her go.

There was never a lack of desire to live in the case of my dad.  He was a fighter.  Nothing could ever stop him when he thought he could accomplish something.  Deep down I believed,  despite the odds,  if anyone could come back to full health,  it would be my dad.

On the day of his passing,  he was supposed to fly home with us to Vermont,  but complications forced him back to the hospital.  Late that evening,  he deteriorated quickly and was moved to the ICU.  My brother, niece and I were brought to his room to say our good-byes.   He was wearing a negative pressure mask on his face and was unable to talk, so his eyes would have to do the talking.

It was strange, because I didn't know if HE knew he was dying.   Knowing my dad,  maybe he thought this was just another bump in the road.  What do you say at times like this?  Naturally we held his hands and told him we loved him.  He looked at each of us and I could tell he wanted to talk. Then I said to him "Dad, tell Mom I love her and miss her".    Looking into his eyes,  I saw them fill and tears rolled down his cheeks.  He knew.  After listening on speakerphone to all of his children and grandchildren tell him how much they love him,  he slipped away.

A different example of death with dignity.

2 comments:

  1. Yes it certainly was . And nothing can take that away from you: those beautiful, wrenching last moments that are all a part of loving someone. But as with beauty, is there room for different definitions, different experiences of what is death with dignity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. (By the way, I wasn't trying to be anonymous. I simply couldn't figure out how on earth to leave a comment with my name attached by using the methods available in the dropdown menu. Ellen Hayes)

    ReplyDelete