For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Twenty-Three Years Old

"Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands."  
~ Anne Frank


Adam completed his 23rd year yesterday.  I found this birthday wish on Instagram to day.  It was from his sister, Annie.

I agree so much with what she said.
Adam really is the best human being I know too.

 My father used to hold that position, but the torch has been passed...

He always treats his sisters with kindness and respect. 






 When I'm around Adam, I feel inspired to be a better person.  


 He is a thoughtful, compassionate friend, and cares deeply about others.  



 He sees the beauty in the world around him and appreciates all that God has given us.


He actively looks for ways to help others in any way he can, and generously gives of his time.


He loves not only people, but animals too.



I often think how it must be hard to be Adam, though.

I wish he would put himself first sometimes. I know from being a mom that serving others can be exhausting.

It also feels good to let yourself get angry.  You can't keep everything inside.

And try as hard as you want, you can't make everyone happy.

These are lessons learned as you go through life.

"Goodness is about character - integrity, honesty, kindness, generosity, moral courage, and the like.  More than anything else, it is about how we treat other people."
~Dennis Prager





Adam's friends surprised him with a 23rd birthday party last night.
They made Vermont grilled cheese sandwiches (using Vermont cheddar cheese drizzled with maple syrup inside!)

I hope you had a wonderful birthday, Adam!
You are loved.







No comments:

Post a Comment