For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Tuesday, April 29, 2014

I Knew It All Along

I have so many wonderful memories of being a mom when my children were young.   Without a doubt, some of the most enjoyable times were spent reading books to them.

There were so many really great reads that are well-known:  

Goodnight, Moon
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Corduroy
Love You, Forever

Even though these books were written for children,  their messages are meaningful to adults too.  One of my all time favorites is a book you've probably never heard of.  It's not even being printed anymore.  


I found our copy inside Annie's special box - a large rubbermaid container that I gave to each of my children to save their favorite things as they outgrew them.


The very first page set the scene.  "Wally Raccoon looked worried."

Wally's mother had always walked him to school, but he was at an age where many other kids his age were already walking to school on their own.  His mother was trying to convince Wally that he could walk to school by himself too.  He was big enough.  He was ready.

But Wally was afraid.  Wally's imagination ran wild as he worried about all of the bad things that could happen on his way to school by himself.

Maybe he would get lost.
What if the bridge breaks when he walks over it and there are sharks in the water?
What if he sees a mushroom in the woods and eats it, and it makes him sick?
What if he stops to look at a rainbow and he's late for school?
What if he doesn't look where he's going and falls in a giant hole and can't get out?

His mother did all she could to reassure Wally that he would not get lost, the bridge was strong, he wouldn't eat any mushrooms, etc.  The next day, Wally successfully walked to school and walked home alone.   When he saw his mother waiting for him, he was so excited and proud,  and he announced that he wanted to walk alone every single day!

Now it was Wally's mom turn to worry.  She was worried he didn't need her anymore.

I LOVED THE MESSAGE IN THIS BOOK!

Isn't this true, all through life, when we face new experiences that we are unsure of?
 Our imaginations create all kinds of scary "what if" situations. 
These crazy fears can stand in the way of our growth if we let them.

As we mature,  
we don't need Mother Raccoon to tell us that our fears are unwarranted.  
We are "big enough" to realize it ourselves. 
And as we experience more of life, we become more confident in ourselves.



When we look back, we say to ourselves:

"I knew I could do it.  I knew it all along".

No comments:

Post a Comment