For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Monday, November 4, 2013

Enough


Life is all about balance.  

How much is enough?  Too much?  

Sleep.  Food.  Time.  TV.  Make-up.  Money.  Sun.  Leisure.  Work.

How do you know when is "enough".

I think one of the hardest things as a parent/sister/daughter/friend is to know when help is needed and and when it's not needed.  
When to step in and when to step back.  
When to leave things alone. 


It would be nice to have a crystal ball to tell us what we need to know.


It would me nice to be able to see inside a loved one to know how they really feel.  

But we can't.  And sometimes they just don't tell you.  
They think they can handle it on their own.  
They don't want your help.  


So you go through life wanting the best for your loved ones.


You want to be there when for them in good times and in bad.


Boundaries.  When are you overstepping them?


When should you break them down?


Sometimes it's easy to figure out.


Sometimes it's not.




So you just have to be there.


Always.






Because sometimes their pain isn't obvious.


And just being there helps so much.



2 comments:

  1. thank you for this post Gayle~ just what I needed to hear this am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is what I needed too. He knows I'm here ...wish I had a "crystal ball".

    ReplyDelete