For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Sunday, September 8, 2013

Negative Space

 Negative space. White space. Empty space. The void.

In this photograph, the negative space is what draws attention to the subject of the image.  The emptiness is just as important as the subject.


What an entirely different meaning this image would convey if there was no emptiness.

It's not easy to allow emptiness.  

We always feel like we should fill up our space, our time, our minds.

It almost seems irresponsible to waste all that space or time.


When my last child moved out of the house a few weeks ago, my first impulse was to fill up the emptiness.  I went to NYC and filled up my days with activity.  

When I came home, I thought I needed to formulate a plan for my new life.  Not a total overhaul, but I felt I needed to do something different.

After much thought,  I came to the conclusion that the emptiness is not a bad thing.

Just as in the image above,  the negative space is what allows the content to be heard.  

Why not try to go back to a time when daydreaming was a positive thing?  A time when I didn't feel guilty doing frivolous things. Not all the time, but maybe with that extra time I find I may have now. 

I practiced my new mindset today.  I could have been editing pictures or cleaning the house, but I chose to do something not so responsible.


I chose to lay outside on a blanket and enjoy the sun and the wind.


I wasn't alone for long.



White space is natural behavior for cats.  


It's not easy to allow emptiness.
But it feels really good when you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment