For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Sunday, August 18, 2013

Here Comes Good-Bye


Back in May, I thought I would be ok with being an empty nester.  

Adam hadn't lived at home for more than a few weeks at a time for 3 years.
Kerry was living in an apartment in Burlington and was staying there for the summer.
Annie was busy with all the activities that fill the lives of graduating Seniors in high school.

 We were practically empty-nesters already!
No sweat, right?

Then summer came.  Adam moved home for the summer.  Kerry visited often.  And Annie was home more to spend time with Adam and Kerry.
It was a nice summer, ending with our yearly vacation together in Lake George.





About a week ago,  Adam moved to an apartment in Burlington where he will live for the next year.


When he left that morning, my heart ached.
I let myself wallow for a while.

I felt like I was standing on the shore and the tide was coming in.
Just as the water steadily rises on the sand, I felt my emotions were also rising.
Every once in a while a wave would come and the tears would overflow.

But there were things to do. 
I needed to get Annie everything she needed for her first year of college.
Kerry came home for a week too.











At the end of this week, Kerry goes back to Vemont for her final year of college.

And one week from today we pack up Annie's things and bring her to Rochester.
There's no doubt in my mind THAT good-bye will very difficult for me.


Because then we come home.  
Just the two of us.


Alone in the house for the first time in 22 years.

Has it really been that long?
It seems like it all happened in the blink of an eye.

When the kids were little, we were told so often to enjoy our time with them because they grow up so fast.   Back then, even a day of caring for three young children could seem endless.  

Over 8000 days of those days have passed.
From now on. the majority of our time will be spent without our kids at home.
Just the two of us.

I feel very sad and happy at the same time.

I just need to get through next week's good-bye.


No comments:

Post a Comment