For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Thursday, March 15, 2012

Scanning the Past

I've spent much of this week in the past.

I've watched my mother grow into a beautiful young woman.
I've acquainted myself with family members long gone.
I've reacquainted myself with uncles and aunts.
I've witnessed the beginnings of my parent's love.
And so much more.

I'm finally tackling a job I've been meaning to do ever since I took home a huge rubbermaid bin full of family photos and memorabilia  from my parent's house after they passed away.

I bought a good photo scanner to make matters easier.
For the past two days I've been scanning old photos
                  to digitalise them.

I THOUGHT I was going to pick the best of the best
to minimize the work.
But no.

I find it hard to leave anything out.  I'm doing it all!
And not only scanning, but restoring them as much as possible to their original state.

It's amazing what Photoshop can do!

And I'm having fun taking away all of those distracting specks of dust that were on the film, the creases and tears across the faces of my loved ones, and restoring vibrance  to the photos.

This photo of my mother's Uncle Harry was not in good shape.

 But now he's good as new!



 I made some photos brighter...




And made other photos darker.



I also couldn't help but note family resemblances...


The little girl in the photo (above) is my mother.
My niece (left below) looks sooo much like her with her smile and dimples!

 Just as my sister (right above) looks amazingly like my mother in the picture below!

 And then there's me...

I can't help but see my dad  (on the bike) in me (below). 

But when I look at this picture of my mom (below), 
I think I look very much like she did at about the same age!
 


So, I will keep plugging along until I'm done.
I'll talk to my relatives and try to identify those
             who are unknown to me.
Then I will attempt to put together the story of my family.

And pass it along to my children and future grandchildren.
Maybe one of them will recognize my face in their own one day!
Hopefully one of them will carry on
      and continue writing the story!

1 comment:

  1. Nice job, Gayle! I have the same job to do as I seem to be the one my mom chose to give all the old pictures to. Thanks for sharing! Love, Marci

    ReplyDelete