For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Thursday, October 6, 2011

Food for Thought

food:  noun. 1. any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc

Our genes determine many of our traits.  Brown hair, blonde hair, short, tall, blue eyes, brown eyes, green eyes, skinny, full-figured, intellectual, creative, introvert, extrovert...


I have been thinking a lot about food lately. 
Specifically,  is there there a genetic component that determines the way we eat?

I am NOT referring to how much we eat.
I am NOT referring to whether or not we are picky eaters.
I am NOT referring to whether we are carnivores or vegetarians.
I am NOT referring to our individual tastes in food.


The trait I am referring to is a little harder to describe.


FOR INSTANCE


I have a kitchen full of food.  
Many types of food.


So how can it be that some members of my family can come into the same kitchen and declare

"THERE IS NOTHING TO EAT IN THIS HOUSE"


and others are perfectly satisfied and have no problem finding something to eat?

I firmly believe there is a gene that determines this trait.

My father, whose nickname was Orks, had the ability to go into the refrigerator and concoct what he believed to be a gastronomical delicacy.  Don't get me wrong - he enjoyed a good meal - but he truly loved going into the refrigerator and making a meal out of whatever was available.





I believe I inherited that same trait, and so did my daughter, Annie.


Whenever my husband goes away on a business trip and it is just the two of us left at home, nothing makes us happier than to find our own dinners.  


We like to eat, but we arent' picky about what we eat. 
It's not hard to satisfy our hunger, and be happy about it.


It's in the genes.


I call it the "Orks" gene.















2 comments:

  1. I think you may be on to something. I, too, have a few in the house that declare "There's nothing to eat in this house!" when there's perfectly good food all over the place. I have found that it's usually tied to the proportion of snack food vs. healthy food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as there's something vegetarian in the fridge, I'm good :)

    ReplyDelete