For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Gravity of the Situation

I WILL NEVER FORGET IT.



WHEN I SAW IT, I HAD TO STOP AND STARE.



IN ALL OF MY 51 YEARS I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING SO SCARY.



Ok.  It began as just an ordinary day, no different than any other.

I had taken a shower and was undergoing my daily beauty routine.  Face cream, concealer to hide the dark circles, face powder, eye liner, mascara. 

Time to do my hair.  I take my hair out of the towel on top of my head.

I have NOT been blessed with an abundant head of hair.  On top of that, my hair is very fine and extremely straight.  Over the years I have learned how to MAXimize what hair I do have.

Root lifter, hair styling gel. Dry upside down for volume.

BUT TODAY I DID ONE THING DIFFERENT FROM ALL OTHER DAYS.




While my head was tipped over upside-down, I looked in the mirror.


To this day it sends shivers up and down my spine.

A woman over the age of 50 should NEVER look at herself in the mirror with her head tipped upside-down.  If you're over 50 and you bend over, all 50 years fall with you.  Believe me.  If you are still in your youthful years,  just wait.  Gravity kicks in and every fold of skin that has even thought of becoming a wrinkle suddenly gets its wish!   Steven King may have gotten his inspiration for his last book after doing this himself (although I doubt gravity affects men's faces as much).


I don't recall this happening when I was young.  I could bend over to tie my shoes and my skin pretty much stayed in the same place!  I could look in the mirror upside-down and still know who I was.

But the person I saw that day was unrecognizable.

GRAVITY.




I guess gravity does have its advantages.  After all, it keeps us from falling off the earth into outer space!









1 comment: