For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Favorite Things - Poms


Pomegranates!  My favorite fruit!  I look forward to pom season every year and I get SO excited when I walk into the grocery store and see them, usually some time in November!

 
 My favorite fruit used to be raspberries, but a few years ago I was introduced to these luscious little tidbits and I fell in love.

 I hear from so many people that pomegranates are not worth the effort it takes to eat them.  I, on the other hand, find it soothing and fun to dig all of these gems out of their womb, being so careful not to harm them.  I actually get a little upset when I lose one or two as they fall to the floor, but the dogs like them almost as much as I do and they gladly lick them up!
 I didn't realize how beautiful they were until I got my camera out and started photographing them with my macro lens.  They are gorgeous!
 So if you have never tried a fresh pomegranate before, don't wait any longer!  How do you choose a good one?  Juggle them around in your hands and choose the heaviest ones - those are the most juicy!  Cut into it a little, them pull it apart with your hands. You don't want to ruin all of the babies inside as you cut.  Don't wear your best white blouse, and be prepared to wipe the juice off the walls when you are done!  If you get it on your clothes, don't worry!  The juice does not stain!  Relax, take your time, and have fun!  It really is worth all of your effort!





1 comment:

  1. I love pomegranates. And you're absolutely right about being obsessed with culling each little seed from its home. Can't lose one of them. And I love the way they pop in your mouth, full of juicy goodness! Yum.

    ReplyDelete