For the first 50 years of my life, my perfectionist self mistakenly believed it was all about knowing more, getting it right, planning, attempting to prevent bad things from happening, and keeping all of my chicks in a row. It took me this long to discover that the JOURNEY is all that matters. This quote from Gilda Radner sums it all up:

"I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.
"


Sunday, September 19, 2010

Young At Heart


 THIRTY SEVEN YEARS AGO these men were part of a team.  They were boys who loved the game of baseball.  They were the Hazardville Senior Little League State Champions.  They went on to play for the New England title and placed 2nd after losing
2-1 to Maine.  I am proud to say that my husband, Vance, was a part of that team. 
The red jack in the picture is the 37 year old jacket that given to the boys after their State Championship win.  Vance still has his jacket too.
It was a long time ago, but they were not forgotten. Tonight these boys/men were inducted into the  
Enfield Athletic Hall of Fame!

Vance is in the front row, far right.  
Vance is wearing a face mask to protect his mouth after getting his front tooth knocked out in an earlier game.
Vance (far right)
The newspaper said "We won't forget" and it was true.

 Some were balding. Some were grey. A few were deceased or unable to come to the ceremony for health reasons.  Their wives and children came in their place. 

At first glance, they did not look much like the young boys from 37 years ago, but as I watched them hug and reminisce about the past, the years seemed to melt away.  I could almost picture in my mind the young boys they once were.














Each of them received an engraved plaque  and became 
official members of the 
Enfield Athletic Hall of Fame!


Vance's mother, Alice, and cousin, Kathy were there to celebrate this great honor with Vance and me.



2 comments: